Sunday, November 16, 2008

Music



This weekend I got to see one of America's greatest singer-songwriters. Really. I'm not exaggerating. I love Lucinda Williams! She has been near the top of my list of people/bands to see for the past several years. And moved up to the #1 spot probably about a 2 years ago after I saw Ryan Adams and Wilco. And man! was she amazing. If you haven't heard her stuff, do so immediately. Her lyrics are so........ good. In fact, let me post a lyric or two.

Here is a verse from "I envy the wind" one of the sexiest songs ever written without being nasty.

I envy the rain
That falls on your face
That wets your eyelashes
And dampens your skin
And touches your tongue
And soaks through your shirt
And drips down your back
I envy the rain

Don't you just love that? Sooo pretty. And she was awesome in concert. So, that's been the best moment of the past few weeks.

The worst moment was/is the dying of my computer. Right now I'm using my roommates computer and my poor little computer is in trouble. She's been so good to me these past 5 years, getting me through grad school, surviving my thesis, and holding so much lovely music and pics, and allowing me to be entertained for all of the years that I didn't have a TV. As much as I hate to see her go.... I've decided it's time for me to move on. So, I'm seeking computer advice.... what do I get? My main requirement is that it be cute. Is a mac worth it?

6 comments:

mere said...

it depends on what you want to do on your computer. I envy Cory's mac every day but really for what I do, my PC is okay.
Macs are great for doing home projects like little home videos, slideshows, picture editing- they have great free programs. I would say get a mac, they are so easy to use, don't get viruses and load so easy without all the little annoying doo dads that PCs have.
little mac books are cute and not that expensive...(compared to mac book pros...)
good luck!

Unknown said...

Get that yellow dell if cute is #1 priority.

You need to download that music I sent you!! You'll be so impressed with Dustin Kensrue's lyrics. In fact, I'll share some with you as well!

Here's a good bit from the song "Consider the Ravens":

I've grown sick and tired
of trying to stand still
I've learned to let the wind
pull me where it will

Throw myself into
the will of the wait
I can never be great
'til we're free

between the river and the ravens I'm fed
between oblivion and the blazes I'm led
So father give me faith, providence, and grace
Between the river and ravens I'm fed
Sweet deliver, oh you lift up my head
and lead me in your way

Melis said...

2 cents on computers-
I still like my PC a lot it has worked great for me, but Josh has beat our mac to the ground (it literally has dents and scratches all over if from being dropped so many times) and it actually died once but took it to a mac store and they revived it and it is still going strong- so I will say they are way durable, there is no way the pc would have survived our mac's life.

The Eatons said...

Timmy named my Macbook "boyfriend" ... I think he's jealous of our love and of all the attention it gets instead of him. Its crazy but I swear it knows what I am thinking without me telling it what to do. I think Timmy's dell laptop is big and ugly in comparison but I have always been one to believe in fashion over function. My first mac lasted like 8 years and its still going even though my kids kill it everyday. Plus, if you like Volvos you buy Macs, did I sell you with that one?
Ok as for the lyrics, I love when you write posts like this one. Its so Julie. "drips down your back"... scandalous

The Eatons said...

Oh I forgot, I have an edited "Once" dvd (maybe you do too, but if not let me know and i will mail it). I heard the real version is an f-bomb factory. Thats all.

Preethi said...

"My main requirement is that it be cute." Computers serve other purposes?

I vote Mac.