Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Its a boy!

They say writing a thesis is like giving birth.... I was going to go into the details of where my baby is in terms of anatomy, but I was started to gross myself out, so I'll hold back. In all reality, it's not born yet, but I'm getting close. I submitted the first draft of my thesis to my committee members today. One trip to Staples, $110, some huge binder clips, and it's in. I was honestly nauseated while it was getting printed and copied. And then to see it - all 236 pages, it was a moment - liberating and terrifying.

In other news, I went to a catered dinner with my dad yesterday for this conference he's at here in philly. They were serving steak.... Now I am not a vegetarian, but I honestly can't remember the last time I ate red meat. I think my friend Jenn made some taco soup with hamburger in it.... but when was that... months ago? So, they set this plate in front of me, one big, rare chunk of meat. And I'm thinking, "okay, julie, you can do this" and I picked up my knife and fork and started to cut into it and the weirdest thing happened - I honestly felt nauseous. Just thinking about it, I'm feeling sick. Weird, I think it was the cutting that really put my over the top. I feel like I could eat a steak fajita, or a hamburger without too much problem.... because then I don't really have to see it. I hate to eat meat if there's any bones involved - it's just too much like an animal. I like to image that there's a chicken breast tree somewhere. Now I've discovered that I can't cut red meat. Oh, and my story has a happy ending - they had a vegetarian option - and I had a lovely dinner of grilled vegetables.

No comments: