Sunday, July 6, 2008

Portland, OR

So, I made it to portland after one more day of torture in the car. I've been staying with my sister and her kids. One of her daughters loves me and won't leave me alone for a second. Luckily some of her cousins also came to visit yesterday and she's lost interest in me. It's been nice seeing family and hanging out. Though, I'm getting seriously bored. The novelty of this big unknown adventure has definitely worn off and i'm ready for the next phase of my life to start already.

It's definitely been weird to be here and i've found myself missing philly quite a bit. Yesterday I spent the day in downtown Portland. Oh. actually crazy thing. I ran into Alex Quistberg at a giant bookstore in portland. (it was a way awkward side hug - I hate side hugs). He was there visiting Dave Bailley (maybe some of you know him?) another guy who I knew from philly from before my mission, who just moved to portland a week ago. CRAZY! And please spare me the comments about me and Alex. It was a total coincidence (not fate and I'm not Felicity).

Also went to a Blues Festival in Portland..... and I realized two things. One - I like zydeco music. Two - hippies can be sort of cute when you only see one at a time and with a big break in between...... but when there's a whole mess of them all in one town its not cute anymore. all the flowy dresses and beaded jewelry. ugh. I'm definitely missing the diversity of philly. I was sad that the only black people there were the people playing in the bands. I think Philly definitely meshed well with my middle child issues of liking to be different. Here I'm just another mid-20s, environmentally-conscious (or trying to be) white girl in a town full of them. Yuck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Brenda and Dylan?

Preethi said...

hahaha, this post totally makes me miss you.

a) TWINS!!! I'm so jealous. And holy cow that is big for twins. Not even kidding, I was about that size (5 lbs, 5 oz) when I was born, and there was only one of me. Your poor sister.

b) Um, totally random about Alex. He'll probably be mad that you posted his full name for the entire Internet to see. The side hug thing totally made me laugh. And I loved that you called yourself not-Felicity.

c) Flowy skirts/beads = cute when your name is Brooke White. Her times a million might be a bit much.

d) Don't worry, you'll never be "just another white girl." ;)